Sooty mold is a fungal disease that grows on plants and other surfaces covered by honeydew and other sticky substances created by insects on a plant.
Even though it grows on plants or trees, it does not actually infect them. Although they’re not infected, it can potentially lead to damage due to in extreme cases it blocks the leaves from receiving enough sunlight to stay healthy.
Sooty mold is mainly created due to the honeydew on surfaces created by insects feeding in their immature and adult stages. If you see sooty mold on your plant or tree, there is a possibility that there is an infestation of an insect.
What to do if your tree gets sooty mold?
If you notice that your plants and or trees have got sooty mold do not panic! There are home remedies that can hopefully take care of your problem. A simple remedy can be used, soap and water. Soap and water will be able to take off the mold.
Now if you find out that the trees are infected with an insect, it’s best to remove the insects prior to taking the mold off as it will just return shortly after. Common insects that produce a high amount of honeydew will be listed below.
● White flies
If you need any tree removal or stump grinding, give us a call at (540) 720-8733 or